Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 Five Years Later

Today all of America came to grips with the still-fresh memory of a national tragedy. The wound is still fresh, and the pain still great.

Tempted as I am to launch into a discussion about foreign policy and decisions made by our leaders, I don’t feel this is the proper time.

I can’t bring myself to speak about world unity either. My desire for peace and understanding is great, but I’m also realistic, and as the famous quote from former British Prime Minister Lord Palmerston goes, “Nations don’t have friends, nations have interests.” It’s sadly true, and don’t fool ever yourself into believing otherwise.

I don't claim to be impartial; I worked within sight of the Towers and I recall my horror from that day still. My brother, a fireman, was there the day after the event, breathing toxic fumes while unearthing grim artifacts. My then next-door neighbor, a loving father and all-around nice guy, parked and then stepped out for a bagel and just missed being crushed to death along with his car. He spent that night wandering in his backyard in shock, trying to make sense of it all.
I myself was lucky to not have been directly affected, indeed barely touched by the event, and I am eternally grateful for that.

Today I have but one wish: I wish peace to those that were hurt or lost someone in this event, and I hope such a thing never occurs again.

No comments: